Planning Your Next Business Expansion? Here’s 4 Steps on Starting an Office in New York City.
Thinking about moving to New York City or adding an office in New York? Setting up a new your first startup office or even adding a field office in New York City can be chaotic. Below is a simple 4-step guide to starting an office in New York City.
- Setting It Up: Register your business and research the insurance your business may need such as worker’s compensation, liability, and disability insurance. Look into permits and licenses your business is required to obtain to fully operate in New York. For more information, go to NYC business express.
- Shop for Space: Look for the best office lease arrangement for your business. There are various New York City office spaces available, from the long term to short-term lease. If your office will be a temporary office, you may want to look for a short-term, furnished office space, rather than committing to a lengthy lease where you will need to buy furniture and office equipment. When looking for the location for your startup, you will also want to research zoning options for your business.
- Get Ready for a Smooth Operation: Consider getting equipped with the right technology, software, printers, network, firewall, and Wi-Fi capabilities. Also check your office equipment, supplies and services such as fax machine, printer, scanner, shredder, and consider establishing UPS and FedEx accounts as necessary.
Get the checklist for moving to an office space:
- Get the 311 App: It is always good to stay in touch with the city. From catching up with the latest services offered by the city, to finding the latest New York City events or getting some discounts from the vendors participating in the city’s program, one of the most entrepreneur friendly cities in the nation offers various resources via an app. Download the 311 app here.
Additional Helpful Resources:
- NYC Business resources: http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/categories/business.page
- NYC Starter Guide to Opening Your Professional Office: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycbe/downloads/pdf/nycstarter_guide_professional_office.pdf
- Checklist for Starting a Practice in New York: http://www.nysba.org/checkliststartingapractice/